Washburn Bowlback Mandolin

washburn-bowlback-mandolin-04 washburn-bowlback-mandolin-05 washburn-bowlback-mandolin-10

washburn-bowlback-mandolin-14   washburn-bowlback-mandolin-08 washburn-bowlback-mandolin-07 washburn-bowlback-mandolin-15

 

 

 

This old Washburn Mandolin came into the shop suffering from being stored in very dry conditions.  Several braces were loose, the top was separating near the tailpiece, there was a separation in staves of the bowl, the binding and purfling were loose in several places, and several pieces of the lining had come loose.  With a little patient gluing and clamping I managed to get everything solid again.

I wanted to bring the action down a bit. Not wanting to modify the original bridge too much, and possibly going too low, I decided it would be safest to make a reproduction bridge and store the original.