This poor Les Paul Deluxe suffered the rigors of the arid New Mexico climate. The maple cap was split and pulling away form the mahogany body in several places. The owner opted to replace the mini humbuckers with vintage P-90’s and have it refinished a Gold Top. The frets were in need of being replaced […]
The celluloid bobbin from this ES-300 style pickup from a 1940 Gibson EH-150 was brittle, cracked, and disintegrating in places, the windings were broken, and the magnets were missing. There was really no choice but to completely reconstruct the pickup but it provided an opportunity to look inside a rare pickup. The construction is very […]
I recently purchased a Dewalt compact router for doing less intense routing jobs. It is relatively light weight and smaller in size but still very powerful, ideal for routing curved truss rod channels. I made a base for the router with adjustable rails that ride along curved runners clamped to the neck blank. Material is […]
It certainly isn't uncommon to see crazy repairs and modifications come through the shop. I often find myself scratching my head trying to figure out just how some of these seemed reasonable to anybody. I hope this person was stranded in an isolated location and only had one set of replacement tuners but they were […]
This Gibson Marauder has been put through it's paces. It has been heavily modified and taken a few hard hits. The owner wanted it cleaned up a bit but to retain the original finish on the fretboard and headstock. After stripping it down I replaced the missing wood, filled the former tailpiece holes and refinished […]
Binding repair can be challenging, often requiring finish touchup and tedious leveling. This Airline guitar had the extra challenge of installing the binding under the frets which were installed through the binding. With a little careful measuring I was able to saw the fret slots and file the binding back to fit snugly under the […]
Old Gretsch guitars are notorious for having binding problems. This great 1957 Chet Atkins has largely escaped the binding rot that often seen on these old guitars but the neck binding had shrunken and worked loose. I had to replace 2 small sections that were missing but most of the old binding went back into […]
This cool old Kay archtop came in with high action and no room left under the adjustable bridge but with the neck reset it plays beautifully. I love the ‘Kelvinator’ headstock and the Kleenex Box Pickups! For more photos click here.
This poor Les Paul Deluxe suffered the rigors of the arid New Mexico climate. The maple cap was split and pulling away form the mahogany body in several places. The owner opted to replace the mini humbuckers with vintage P-90’s and have it refinished a Gold Top.
The frets were in need of being replaced and the binding nibs had already been removed so I took the opportunity to flatten the fretboard before replacing the frets.
Here’s something you don’t see everyday. This is a combination D and B bender developed by Paul McEwen at pulltonedevices.com. The 1/2 inch thick aluminum assembly attaches to the back of the guitar using the neck mounting screws. Installation was remarkably easy. The only problem I encountered was it initially wouldn’t pull the B a […]
The bridge pickup in this old Kay wasn't working and it quickly became clear why. Someone had removed all of the coil wire. These pickups have a similar design to Gibson p-90s but with groovy retro styling. I couldn't find concrete info on the wire gauge used but I went with my best guess. […]
This ES-175 had a sunken top due to a loose brace on the bass side. I was able raise the top by gluing the brace with a clamping caul traced from the back of the guitar. Here is a sped up video of the clamping process. For more pictures and video go here.
Yesterday I worked on the replacement bridge for the EH-150 I am restoring. I don’t have an original bridge so I used a tracing of the footprint visible on the guitar and pictures. I used my tablesaw and bandsaw to rough out the shape and cleaned it up with files and sandpaper. A final buffing […]
Sometimes you just need a hacksaw for guitar work! After a little elbow grease I managed to fashion a Charlie Christian reproduction pickup for the Gibson EH-150 I am restoring. I’ll have to wait a while to get it mounted to get a true idea of how it sounds but it is working and ready […]
My frend, Paul, found this 1959 Epiphone Coronet that had been modified. He filled the extra routs and brought it to me to have the top refinished. He sent me these before and after shots including the new security guard! More photos here…