Dearmond 1000 Rhythm Chief Repair

screen-shot-2016-10-22-at-5-57-32-am

Here is an interesting repair I just finished. This Dearmond 1000 Rhythm Chief was in pretty bad shape. The coil was broken, the wire had deteriorated, the rod had been straightened and shortened, the back of the control case was missing, and the mounting bracket was broken.

This pickup has an interesting coil. The 3rd through 6th string poles are wrapped for a number of turns and then the other pole pieces are glued in and the whole coil is continued around them all. I had a small coil of vintage 44 gauge wire that I used for the windings.

The back gave me another opportunity to use the Gorton pantograph to make the irregularly shaped brass plate.

I used stainless steel to fashion the new rod, mounting bracket, and rivet.